Sunday 14 June 2015

Basquiat Artist Statement

My Basquiat piece is perspective, I chose perspective because within my work you clench the perspective of racism. In my work to show racism in this world I chose the Boston Bruins clash to the Washington Capitals NHL player Joel Ward, a former NHL'er for the capitals scored the game winning goal back in 2010 against the Bruins, That goal knocked the Bruins out, Joel Ward the happiest player till the next morning, On twitter Boston fans ripping him apart calling him a "n****r" and many many more  racial slurs that have been affecting Ward for many years playing hockey and always dealing with constant jabs, as a teenager Joel Ward was told to play basketball. His mother has been used to this stuff and has spoke to him and makes sure it has never got to him and that he should persue his hockey career then he ended up making the NHL. What I did to create this piece was get the image of the Washington Capitals celebrating around him against the glass with the Boston Bruins fans in the stands, I chose the "NHL" font and the text coloured in as the Boston Bruins yellow with racial slurs quoted in the stands showing the disgusting Bruins comments and there Pissed off/ broken hearted emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment